This just in from yesterday’s bargaining session:
KEA Bargaining Update July 19, 2011
Bargaining Team Goal: To strengthen the KEA contract in the areas of working conditions and compensation and benefits in order to improve teaching, and learning for the students of the Kent School District.
KEA and KSD returned to the bargaining table this week. The big news is that we reached tentative agreements (TAs) on some items, including:
- A new “Civility Clause” outlining expectations for respectful communication.
- Added language requiring that any audio/visual recordings of observations must be mutually agreed upon in writing.
- Language allowing the district to move to the goal setting model at all elementary schools. This contract change will move elementary conference weeks to October and February and progress reports to January and June.
- A provision requiring a three week period to roll over a discretionary day ending on June 10th each year.
- No changes in insurance rates or coverage. The benefit allowance for a 1.0 FTE will remain at $768 per month.
Your KEA Bargaining Team is now waiting for the district to respond to several proposals, including the Learning Collaboration Days (Late Start / Early Release Days), Supplemental contracts for Nurses and Psychologists, Bereavement Leave and reducing Required Meetings.
Finally, as you know the legislature cut teacher salaries by 1.9%. In June your Representative Council voted for Bargaining Team to take the position of “pay the days or waive the days.” The district has yet to address this issue. While the district has presented a proposed calendar, your KEA team cannot come to a tentative agreement on the calendar until we know how the district will address the 1.9%.
Reminder: Bargaining Updates are posted on the KEA Blog http://kenteducationassociation.wordpress.com/ where you can also post your questions and comments.
General Membership Meeting
August 30, 2011, 5-7 p.m.
Kentwood High School.
KEA Bargaining Team
Connie Compton, KEA President
Cindy Prescott, 4th/5th grade, Crestwood/KEA Vice President
Michael Kerstetter, Music, Daniel/KEA Secretary Treasurer
Lisa Brackin-Johnson, Language Arts, Mattson
Brian Thornton, Social Studies, Meridian Middle
Emma Goliff, 1st grade, Panther Lake
Ron Nauer, Science, Meeker
Rose Racicot, Occupational Therapy/Assistive Technology
Sandra Goveia, KEA Uniserv Representative